Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Recommended for fans of: Anna and the French Kiss, Just One Day, The Truth About Forever.
This book in a word: Cute. Seriously squee-worthy. But, of course, like all good cutesy YA stories, it’s also layered and heartfelt. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is short in comparison to the majority of contemporary YA novels, but Smith packs a lot into the 24-hour journey her protagonist takes.
Obviously with a title like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, there’s a lot riding on the main characters forging a believable connection. Hadley and Oliver meet at an airport while waiting for their flight and they bond instantly. They soon discover that not only are they sitting in the same row, but they’re both travelling to London for important family events, which neither of them are particularly happy to be attending. Yes, it’s a cheesy premise, but it works. Hadley and Oliver are so real, and it’s impossible not to be swept up in their story. Smith also focuses on Hadley’s feelings of abandonment after the seperation of her parents. I’ve never been able to entirely relate to teenage characters with divorced parents before, but I understood Hadley and her frustration completely.
I read Statistical Probability in one sitting; I started reading it late at night and found that I couldn’t stop until it was early morning. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer. Anyone who loved Anna and the French Kiss will love this one too. A perfect summer read.
Rating: 5 stars
Review cross-posted to Goodreads.
- strawberry-galaxystarr likes this
- allsassnosense likes this
- catnip13x likes this
- thats-so-dori likes this
- etherealstart likes this
- iwantthegalaxymyplayground reblogged this from paperbackd
- geekdebatom likes this
- takesplace likes this
- jansg likes this
- blueicemaxi likes this
- fragments-ofme likes this
- cupcakesweeties likes this
- whirler123 reblogged this from paperbackd
- chiaraprior likes this
- pleaseharrry likes this
- hollimaatta reblogged this from paperbackd
- amysteriouscat likes this
- iamoverflowing likes this
- dayeti likes this
- imthatnicegirl likes this
- clockworkhummingbird likes this
- philyra-dreamhouse likes this
- nochinchillanocry likes this
- fiction-before-reality likes this
- ofthesteel-andtemper reblogged this from paperbackd
- ofthesteel-andtemper said: love this book too! :D
- ofthesteel-andtemper likes this
- carine-noctua likes this
- marvelous-muffin likes this
- radagastandrabbits likes this
- writing-spectrum likes this
- eightdasheight likes this
- paperbackd posted this